A Hundred Years of Service by
Women of Fort Worth
For over 100 years, a group of Fort Worth women have been quietly assisting girls and young women. In 1919, the Girls’ Protective Association was created and became part of the Fort Worth Welfare Association. In April 1930, the name was changed to the Girls’ Service League, Inc. and is today a nonprofit organization that supports women seeking higher education.
On April 4, 2019, the Girls’ Service League, Inc. hosted a 100-year celebration reception at Thistle Hill, 1509 Pennsylvania Ave. Early in its 100-year history, the League owned three residential houses which were open to girls as young as 12 who attended school and older young women who were employed. The Thistle Hill mansion is the only one of the three homes still standing.
All properties held by the League were sold by 1979 and the funds were converted to an endowment and the income dedicated to scholarships for women to pursue higher education. President Paula Snider reported “Since 1978, the Girls’ Service League, Inc. has funded more than $2,000,000 in scholarship to fifty-two Texas colleges and universities for women from Tarrant, Johnson and Parker Counties.”
A group of Fort Worth women have assisted young women to prepare for financial security for themselves and their families through education for over 100 years. The current members of the Girls’ Service League continue to build on the League’s founders’ legacy.